10+ Ideas for Having Fun at Home
Make the most of your time-off by spending time with family, practicing your hobbies, or picking up some new skills.
Protect yourself and your loved ones. This is a slogan and a lifestyle that we have been living by since the beginning of the pandemic over a year ago. We have come a long way from living with uncertainty and fear. By now, we have adjusted to the new normal — while still being able to connect with one another. Staying in touch with our loved ones is important, but what’s more important is staying vigilant and following COVID-19 precautions.
Yet, none of that has prevented us from spending time with immediate family, and having fun. Now that it is summer time, and ‘Id al-Adha is approaching — here are some fun activities that you can enjoy with your immediate family at home.
• Board Games: Monopoly, chess, Sequence, Carrom, puzzles
• Card Games: Uno, Bedon Kalam, Saudi Deal, Gool Bas La Tgool
• Cooking: Learn a new recipe, or have family members help out with baking and cooking where everyone is responsible for doing a certain task.
• Movie night: Day or night, there are plenty of movies or classic plays to watch on TV or even on Netflix. Prepare some snacks, turn off the lights, and enjoy!
• Performances: Have a talent? Whether its singing, playing an instrument, or dancing — put on a performance for the family and have fun.
• Charades: A classic fun-filled game for every member in the family. It can last for hours, making us lose track of time, in a good way!
• DIY crafts: Do-it-yourself crafts. Whether it is ‘Id decorations, painting mugs, or making a collage, you can find so many ideas, so unleash your creativity!
• Virtual games: Have family members that you can’t meet? You can play games with them virtually, including Gool Bas La Tgool, Bedoon Kalam, and charades.
Just because it’s hot outside, doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy outdoor activities. Make sure to stay hydrated and to wear some sunscreen — try to find shaded areas if you can.
• Rollerblading, skating, biking, and playing soccer are all active games that family members can enjoy.
• Swimming: For those who are lucky enough to have a swimming pool, not only is it fun, but it’s also good exercise. Add in some games like a treasure hunt, volleyball, and squirt guns.
• Stargazing: One of the best nighttime activities is to watch the night sky. Have your phone or tablet handy so you can search constellations and locate them.
• Gardening: Learn how to plant, and have each family member plant different seeds. Everyone will be anticipating the seeds to grow into beautiful plants.
• Barbecuing: What’s fun about this is that every family member can partake in it. Setting the table, marinating meats, preparing toppings, and of course the most fun part, grilling!
Finally, remember to stay safe by keeping a distance, wash your hands regularly, and avoid hugging and hand shaking.