Healthy Recipe: Fattoush Salad
A stable at the Iftar table, this Ramadan salad is a healthy treat.
Fattoush salad is a staple at the Iftar table, as it is rich in fiber, antioxidants, and vitamins.
Ingredients (6 Servings of 1 Cup each):
• 3 cups toasted whole-wheat pita bread, cut in pieces
• 1 cup tomato, diced
• 1 cucumber, diced
• ¼ cup parsley, chopped
• ¼ cup green onions, chopped
• ¼ cup green pepper, diced
• 2 cups lettuce, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• ½ cup lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
• 1 teaspoon sumac
• Black pepper to taste
• Bread pieces: Pre-heat oven to 300 °F (150 °C). Place the whole-wheat bread pieces on a large baking tray and bake until the bread is golden and crisp.
• Salad: In a large bowl, combine lettuce, bread, cucumber, tomatoes, green peppers, onions, and parsley together. Toss gently.
• Dressing: In a small bowl, combine garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, mint, and Sumac; mix well. Pour dressing over salad and serve.
• Serve with whole-wheat bread, fresh fruits, low fat or nonfat yogurt or Laban for a more balanced and nutritious salad.
Fat and calories per serving
• Calories: 75 calories
• Fat: 2.5 grams
To your health: Fattoush is appropriate for people with heart disease, diabetes, children, lactating and pregnant women, and seniors. It is not recommended to be served to infants under one year of age or to people with chewing or swallowing difficulties, or to people with dairy or gluten allergies.