Sustainability in action
Smart streetlights to illuminate 21st century energy sector ecosystem.
For the first time in the Kingdom, a smart solar street lighting system will be installed at the new King Salman Energy Park (SPARK) energy city mega-project being built 80 kilometers (km) southwest of Dammam in the Eastern Province.
The SPARK project management team has piloted the intelligent next generation multipurpose solar streetlight network.
The system will be deployed throughout the city and at the project’s dry port to create the backbone for future Internet of Things infrastructure, and supply mounting positions for internet communications and power.
The capability of the installed system would consist of the following, and more:
• Controlled lighting levels based on vehicle and pedestrian movement to reduce light pollution
• CCTV to monitor the streets of SPARK
• Real-time traffic control to reduce congestion by changing speed restrictions and traffic light signal patterns
• Immediate response to accidents and fires
• Parking, parking meter, and electrical charging dock availability and assistance
• Free high-speed public Wi-Fi
• Public transportation and sanitation coordination.
The 50 km2 energy city is located between Dammam and al-Hasa in the heart of the Saudi energy business, near major workforce providers, and adjacent to highway and railway networks.
When operational, SPARK is estimated to contribute more than $6 billion to the Kingdom’s gross domestic product annually and create thousands of direct and indirect jobs.