Top tips to losing the 'Quarantine 15'
Reduce intake, increase activity, and embrace moderation.
COVID-19 changed the way we live our lives, to protect ourselves and our communities we had to reduce our exposure to other people and limit our outings, and to quarantine. There was an increase in the sedentary lifestyle, leading to weight gain. However, what was gained can be lost! Find out how you can shed the quarantine weight by following these steps:
• You usually reduce the amount of calories you are taking in by decreasing the size of the portion you eat. An easy way to start eating correct portions is to eat off of smaller plates.
Dish food out on plates in the kitchen and carry it to the table when you eat at home. It is easier and more tempting to have seconds when there is food served on the table.
• Replace snacks that are high in calories with fruits and vegetables.
Eat a variety of foods. No one category of food can give you all the nutrients you need. A healthy diet always includes food from different food groups.
• Eat a lot of vegetables, fruits and whole grain products. Dietitians recommend plant foods because they have fewer calories and a lot of fiber, vitamins and minerals. They also have no cholesterol and little fat.
• Have certain foods and drinks only in moderation. Avoid foods and drinks that are high in sugar and salt.
• Regularly scheduled aerobic exercise is best for losing fat. But any extra movement helps burn calories. Any extra activity that you can fit into your day can help you burn more calories.
• Think about ways you can increase your physical activity throughout the day.
• Take the stairs instead of using elevators or escalators. Walk or bike when you run errands instead of driving. Do some gardening and rake the lawn. Wash your car. Vacuum your carpet and do housework more often.
• When you decide to start exercising regularly, choose activities you enjoy. This will keep you motivated to continue doing them. Try to exercise for about 30 minutes each day. If you need to, divide the time into 3 10-minute sessions instead of one 30-minute session.